I watched the TEDx Talk by Celeste Headlee last week where she shares 10 rules for having good conversations. I truly learnt to find that healthy balance between talking and listening.
If like me you hope to enjoy conversations and connect better this year, i encourage you to watch the entire video ( its about 12 minutes). Here are my top 6 rules from the video
1) Don’t multitask ; when having conversations, be present in that moment, don’t be half in or half out.
2) Don’t pontificate ; enter every conversation assuming you have something to learn. Set aside your personal opinions so you can truly learn from others.
3) If you don’t know, say you don’t know ,don’t talk carelessly .
4) Don’t equate your experiences with that of others, all experiences are individual; stop making every conversation about you.
5) Listen with intent to understand not intent to reply. If you are not listening, its not a conversation, you are simply talking over each other.
6) Be interested in other people , prepare yourself to discover something interesting about people you are conversing with.
Cheers to a year of great conversations !!!
Watch full video
F.O (The Entrepreneur)
P.S – “…….I know what I’m doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.” – Jeremiah 29: 11